Foot Care For Seniors
Our team of specialists and staff believe that informed patients are better equipped to make decisions regarding their health and well-being. For your personal use, we have created an extensive patient library covering an array of educational topics. Browse through these diagnoses and treatments to learn more about topics of interest to you. Or, for a more comprehensive search of our entire Web site, enter your term(s) in the search bar provided.
As always, you can contact our office to answer any questions or concerns.
- What is a Podiatrist?
- Diabetes and Your Feet
- Ankle Sprain
- Chronic Lateral Ankle Pain
- Shin Splints
- Sports Injuries
- Flat Feet
- Plantar Fasciitis (heel spur)
- Smelly Feet and Foot Odor
- Corns and Calluses
- Ingrown Nails
- Athlete's Foot
- Fungal Nails
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave
- Fitness And Your Feet
It's normal for people to experience some foot problems as they age. But experts say that problems with feet can be the first sign of more serious medical conditions, particularly among older adults. Health problems, such as arthritis, diabetes, nerve issues, and circulatory disorders, may first be manifested in the feet. That is why it is important to pay attention to your feet and seek medical attention as soon as you notice a problem.
Here are some foot care tips for older adults:
- Practice good foot care. Check your feet regularly or have a member of your family check them for you.
- Keep blood circulating to your feet as much as possible. Do this by putting your feet up when you are sitting or lying down, stretching if you've had to sit for a long while, walking, having a gentle foot massage, or taking a warm foot bath.
- Wear comfortable shoes that fit well to prevent pressures that can lead to friction and infection and keep your foot structure properly aligned.
- Avoid exposing your feet to cold temperatures.
- Don't sit for long periods of time (especially with your legs crossed).
- Don't smoke because it decreases blood supply and increases the chance of swelling and other circulatory problems.